• Abergeldie Bowling Club
    0 reviews

  • On 8th July 1939, Major General Sir James L.G. Burnett of Leys, Colonel of the Gordon Highlanders, performed the opening ceremony of the Bowling Green which, together with the Clubhouse flourished for 14 years as The Gordon Highlanders’ Bowling Club.


    In 1953/54 the Trustees for The Gordon Highlanders’ War Memorial were in correspondence with The Gordon Highlanders’ Bowling Club with regard to the latter offering to purchase from the former the Bowling Club premises and green. Architects had valued the premises and green at £5,500 but the Trustees for the Gordon Highlanders’ War Memorial were prepared to let the Gordon Highlanders’ Bowling Club have it for the special figure of £3,500 to include all furniture and crockery within the premises and all accessories and implements for the green. The deal was done and Abergeldie Bowling Club was born and officially came into being in 1955 with Mr. Douglas P. Brown as the first President.


    Many changes have taken place since the inception of Abergeldie. The small Clubhouse grew and grew and today’s premises exist largely due to the generosity and willing hands of members. For the first time, ladies played on the green. The Ladies Section was formed from the Willowbank and Albyn Ladies and their first President was Mrs. Elizabeth Hunter whose son Melvin Hunter is Past President of Turriff Bowling Club. Probably the most significant change took place at the A.G.M. in January 2003 when Abergeldie became an equal opportunities Club and ladies became full members and shared the privileges previously only available to the men. There were, as expected, a few teething troubles, but on the whole the transition was smooth and the Club is stronger as a result of this change.


    Abergeldie also has a small but enthusiastic Junior Section and hopefully they will be around to organise the Club’s Centenary in 2055!!

  • PHOTO GALLERY

  • reviews

    0.0
    (0 reviews)

    Give us a rating